GrahamsBloggerNovelTemplate

"Old Friends"

Dmitri checked his reflection in the mirror and chuckled at old wives’ tales. He ran slim, pianist’s finger through his slick blond hair and winked a blue eye at his own wry smile. A vibration originating from his wrist alerted him to the fact that Piotr was late. They met like this four times a year and had a gentleman’s agreement that if the other hadn’t arrived by the appointed hour then the meet was cancelled. The last of his Glenfiddich slid down easily and he paid the tab, tipping very well. He looked in the mirror again and checked to make sure that not a piece of his finely tailored black suit was out of place. Black leather gloves snugged on to protect his nimble hands from the bitter Scandinavian winter. It didn’t even occur to him to worry about his friend. If anyone could take care of himself it was the big Russian.

He stepped out onto the brightly lit street and hailed a cab. A car pulled up and he flowed into the back seat. “Take me to the Crown Plaza please.” His Dutch was as flawless as his teeth.

The driver attempted to pass the time, in the time honored cabbie tradition. “Did you hear about the big dog that they caught trying to break out of the Rijks Museum two nights ago?”

Dmitri’s eyes narrowed a bit. “Big dog? No I didn’t. Tell me.”

“Yeah, they caught this big black dog that must have gotten closed up in the museum somehow. It bit three guards and one of them is in intensive care. Almost took off his arm.” The cabbie shook his head. “Crazy world.”

“Yes indeed. Tell me, what did they do with this dog?” He leaned forward a bit until his nose almost touched the glass panel separating the two.

“I think they are going to put him down. He’s being held at the zoo right now. The paper says they’re keeping it knocked out until they make sure it isn’t someone’s pet. An animal like that, they should kill it. Too dangerous. But hey maybe it’s some rich guy’s toy and they don’t want to piss of the wrong patron.” He chuckled knowingly.

“That would be bad, indeed.” The cab pulled up in front of its destination and he handed the driver several bills. “Keep the change.”

The driver’s eyes got big. “Hey man you ever need a personal driver? I can show you all kinds of things in this city, things that aren’t in ANY of the guides.” Greed oozed from his pores.

Blue eyes blazed from the back seat. “You never saw me.” He stepped out of the cab and walked towards the alley beside the high-end hotel. That boy still has a taste for expensive paintings. I told him that would be the end of him one day. He glanced up at the bloated moon and concentrated. No transformation occurred but his feet left the ground and he sailed down the alley faster and quieter then his feet could carry him. In a few moments he was at the zoo and standing beside the bars on the outside. He glanced around and saw that the cold and the late hour had driven everyone to the warmth of the city’s many bars. In an eye blink he was on the inside and could smell the rich scents of this place’s many denizens intermingling. His nose was looking for one scent in particular.

Buried in all of the sensory noise he caught the distinct odor of unwashed werewolf. He made his way through the winding trails of the large park like a spirit. As he past the large primate house, he heard shrieks of fear as the apes sensed a fearsome predator nearby. These howls brought unwanted attention from the otherwise complacent guards. Footsteps pounded and lights flashed as the two men on patrol broke into a run. Rather than fly, which could become tiring if done to excess, he slid up to a kiosk and stood in its lee until the portly ex-cops wheezed by. The scent of their sweat and the blood racing through their veins peaked his hunger but his preferred prey smelled of jasmine and roses not beer and bratwurst, besides there was no time for eating. He continued towards the holding pens where they had Piotr locked up. After a few minutes more of silent jogging through the cold night, he reached the zoo’s Vet house.

The building was a wide single story house that had been converted into the facilities necessary for tending to the various animals housed here. The only way in was through a large glass door. The only problem with that was the fact that lights were on and it looked like someone was home. You owe me big my friend. The door was locked naturally but one did not live this long and not pick up a few skills. It opened under his silent ministrations and he glided through into the warmth of a lobby. It was laid out like a typical doctor’s office with some overstuffed hotel furniture and inexpensive carpet. Everything was done in soft caramels and tans, including prints of the savannah that adorned the walls. He saw a door marked “Employees Only” to the right of a sliding glass partition where an underpaid receptionist would sit. His ears told him that no one waited directly on the other side so he pushed into the hall beyond. At the end of the hallway, which was lined by doors, light spilled onto the grey tile. A single feminine voice drifted from the open door to him, transcribing notes into a tape recorder from the sound.

His feet tread softly to the edge of the opened door and he peered into a lab. A women with heavily curled chestnut hair tied in a ponytail sat with her back to the door. Upswept hair revealed creamy, white flesh between it and the beginning of her brilliantly white lab coat. Piotr lay on the table hooked to a myriad of tubes and wires keeping him dormant. It angered him slightly to see his friend in such a state. In days gone by he would have ripped this lab to shreds in outrage, but in his maturity he saw that they were merely doing what they thought was right. He stepped into the lab and caught the scent of the lovely technician wafting on the over-conditioned air. She turned in her seat, no doubt to check on her patient, and saw the tall, slim man standing by the doorway. Her lips parted as if to speak, but azure eyes flared quieting her. “Be still my child.”

The vision in the white lab coat shook her head violently and her own eyes filled with an all too natural fire of their own. “Child? Excuse me, but who are you and what the hell are you doing in my lab?”

This one had a strong will and his simple trick would not easily work on her. “I meant no disrespect miss. I merely meant to try and put you at ease. My name is Dmitri Nabokov and the beast here on your table is mine.”

“Nabakov, the pianist?”

He bows slightly. “The same.”

Her right hand traveled towards the phone and the red button marked “Security”. “So Mr. Nabokov what brings you out this late? Couldn’t you have simply come earlier in the day? After all, the zoo is closed.”

“I came here right after a concert and checked in at the gate. You may feel free to call your Security and check. They let me in after all.” He shrugged nonchalantly.

Short nails buffed to a mirror shine stopped inches from the phone. “Ah, I see. So why did it take you this long to come and claim your pet?”

Dmitri’s jaw set firmly. “Look Ms.?”

“Doctor Middelman.”

“I’m sorry, Doctor Middelman, but I am not used to being interrogated. I just want to pick up my friend and take my leave.”

Her face softened a bit and her hand moved away from the phone when she saw the affection in his face. “I’m sorry Mr. Nabakov…”

“Dmitri please.”

“I’m sorry Dmitri. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. And you may call me Tania.”

“Thank you Tania. My little friend here accompanied me to the museum the night he got lost. He is very well trained and my celebrity status allows me a few quirks. The staff let him wander the grounds. I have no idea why he wasn’t found earlier. Well in any case the important thing is that he has been found now and is in good health. He is, isn’t he?”

She stood and moved closer to the table. “Perfect health. You take very good care of him. I’ve been trying to place his species of wolf. He’s quite large. What do you know about him?”

Dmitri again shrugged. “I know little about such things. I saw him and decided that I wanted him.” He reached out and took her hand from the metal table. “Another thing my celebrity allows is for me to take what I want in most cases.” His eyes began to glow again but with less intensity. His pale lips brushed her hand and he heard her breath catch in her throat. Her hand turned in his and he repeated the kiss on her wrist letting his front teeth graze the tender flesh there. Pheromones filled the air, pouring from her skin. Piotr whimpered in his sleep breaking the spell.

Tania took her hand back, straightening her coat unnecessarily and clearing her throat. “Yes, well Mr. Nabokov, let me get him ready.” She began to disconnect the tubes and wires from the beast. Once the task was complete she looked back up at Dmitri. “Shall I call security and have them help you with him?”

“That will be unnecessary. He should be awake and hale in the next few moments. He’s always had a strong constitution.” He moved around the table and closed in on the pretty Vet. “Before I take him with me there is one thing I must do. I have wanted to do it ever since I first saw your lovely neck.” He gently took her shoulders and brought his face to her butter-soft skin. Inhaling her aroma deeply he bestowed the lightest of kisses on a pulsing vein. He produced a card from one of his pockets and handed it to her. “Please call me and perhaps next time I am in town we can have dinner?” He clapped his hands and barked at the wolf in Russian. Piotr scrambled to his feet and they exited the lab and walked into the crisp night.

“You certainly took your fucking time back there.” Growled Piotr.

Dmitri bowed as they walked. “My apologies. I could never resist a pretty girl.”

“Always have been a showoff. And that neck kissing thing? You sure you couldn’t find a way to work in some line about not drinking wine?” The two laughed together as they crossed the fence, the echoed joy following them into the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home